The venue for this event is Sampieri, an old fishing village, perhaps the most picturesque in the province of Ragusa, Sicily. This village is characterized by stone houses and very small streets in old stones.
Sampieri boasts one of the most beautiful shores of all Sicily comprising a long sand beach and lovely rocky cliffs.
In 1909 was built ‘U stabilimientu bruciatu’ (Sicilian for “the burnt building”), lying on the eastern cliff, a former tile factory accidentally burnt in the mid 1900s. It has become an attraction thanks to its impressive look, even chosen as a setting for numerous movies.
The province of Ragusa is characterized, instead, by the wonderful Sicilian baroque that decorates all of its architectural buildings.
From Sampieri you can easily reach by car:
- the town of Scicli, famous for its beautiful baroque churches and for the perspectives of the streets of the old centre.
- the famous town of Noto and Val di Noto, that were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- the town of Modica very famous not just for its architecture but also for its rich dark chocolate.
Beaches: Sampieri, Maganuco, Pozzallo, Marza, San Lorenzo, Marzamemi, Portopalo, Isola delle Correnti, etc
Baroque towns: Scicli (10km), Modica (18km), Ragusa Ibla (35km), Noto (50km)
Other interesting places: Pozzallo and Port (Ferry to Malta) (8km), Marina di Ragusa (35km), Siracusa (70km), Catania (130km)
Vendicari Natural Reserve, Cava d’Ispica, Cava grande di Cassibile
In Sampieri there are a few chalets on the beach which offer restaurants, bar & entertainment with concerts, live performances and free disco.
- Catania Airport: distance km. 125,00, 90 min from the residence by bus
- Comiso Airport: distance km. 60,00, 50 min from the residence by bus
The School will organize free transport:
- on August 31st, 2014 from Catania Airport to Sampieri
- on September 6th, 2014 from Sampieri to Catania Airport.
On August 31st , 2014 the bus provided by the organization will depart from Catania airport at 6:40 P.M.
For those participant that will take the school bus we remind you that meeting point is in Catania airport, at the Exchange Office, next to the bar CULTO. Please look for organizers holding up "ICON School" signs.
On August 6th, 2014, the school bus will leave from Sampieri at 8:30 A.M. with arrival at Catania airport at 10:00 A.M.
The Summer school is held at the Marsa Siclà Residence in Sampieri, that is composed by 82 apartments and by the Club House including bar, restaurant/pizzeria, and other collective services.
Residence facilities include: swimming-pool, volley court and a tennis court, soccer court, ping-pong table, etc.
More details in http://www.marsasicla.it/en/